Tuesday, June 15, 2010

DAP state rep quits, becomes pro-BN independent


By Stephanie Sta Maria

FULL REPORT SUBANG: Malim Nawar state assemblyman Keshvinder Singh today announced his resignation from DAP to become a Barisan Nasional-friendly independent.

At a press conference here, the lawyer-turned-politician said that he is also relinquishing all posts in DAP with immediate effect.

The first-term assemblyman attributed his decision to DAP and Pakatan Rakyat's politicking in Perak, which has "hindered" him from serving his constituency.

"I'm disappointed in their (Pakatan) leadership. I have more faith in the (BN) state government's ability to develop the state," he added.

“Since BN took over the state government (last year), DAP has gone haywire and its rivalry with the state government has rendered me helpless in serving my constituency,” he said.

“Furthermore, I have not received any support, monetary or otherwise, from DAP since taking this post. I cannot work with a party that doesn't back me.”

Impressed with the 1Malaysia concept

Keshvinder also shot down speculation of BN having a hand in his resignation but he pledged his support for Perak menteri besar Zambry Abdul Kadir.

"BN and Umno have nothing to do with this. I am leaving on my own accord and have no intentions of joining any other party," he said.

“I'm very impressed by the state government's leadership, especially that of the 1Malaysia concept which I believe will serve the best interest of the people,” he said.

“And I have come to realise that only the BN government is capable of bringing a brighter future to the people and I am extending my full cooperation to Zambry in the continuing development of Perak.”

“But I want to clearly state that neither BN or Umno had any part in my decision. I have come to this on my own accord and it is purely in the best interest of my constituents. I was not paid any money nor made any offers by any other party. I am clean.”

Keshvinder went on to express high hopes that his new position as an independent would reap the state government's assistance in carrying out his duties. He acknowledged that he needs the state government's support in resolving the many problems within his constituency and is hoping to schedule a meeting with Zambry soon.

Its for the sake of the constituents

He is also bracing himself for a backlash from his constituency but is confident of winning back their support once they understand his motive.

“It will take time for me to explain that this move is actually for them,” he admitted. “But I have to help them understand that I would never have been able to serve them as part of the opposition in Perak.”

Keshwinder's defection from Pakatan leaves the coalition with 27 seats in the 58-member state assembly. BN has 28 seats and there are now four independents.

In February 2009, PKR legislators Jamaluddin Mohd Radzi and Mohd Osman Mohd Jailu, and DAP’s Jelapang assemblyperson Hee Yit Fong had quit Pakatan to become BN-friendly independents.

Their defections caused the fall of the Pakatan state government, to be replaced by BN with Zambry as the new menteri besar.

Keshwinder's defection today came just as state Pakatan leaders were saying that there were disgruntled BN representatives in the state who were ready to defect to Pakatan. [Read: Nizar may yet get a lifeline from BN reps]

Keshvinder won the Malim Nawar state seat with a majority of 1,362 against MCA's Dr Chai Song Poh in the March 2008 general election.

Last year he claimed that he had rejected big financial offers and posts to quit Pakatan and said he would stay loyal to DAP.

1 comment:

All slanderous comments will be deleted .Comments that include personal attacks, and antisocial behaviour such as spamming and trolling; will be removed. You are fully responsible for the content you post. Please be responsible and stay on topic.